Oak Bank 6th Form was rated as ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted in March 2019.
The 6th Form study programme is a personalised curriculum offer that provides each pupil with an individual post 16 progression pathway. It is designed to meet their educational needs and support further career progression. The content and timetable for each pupils study programme will vary to ensure they are accessing a personalised provision that supports their needs.
“Students have aspirational and highly personal learning plans so that they can excel. They are provided with a personalised curriculum that meets their needs, providing suitable challenge and a clear progression pathway. Consequently, students who remain at the sixth form make consistently good and better progress. “ Ofsted Report 2019
Study Programmes are designed in collaboration with pupils to ensure they are appropriately challenging and helps prepare them for adulthood through a transition into further education, an apprenticeship/traineeship or a work placement.
The 6th Form Study Programmes is made up of the following two components:
1. Core Curriculum: Improving Literacy and Numeracy outcomes and equipping pupils with skills and qualifications relevant to the world of work.
2. Literacy/English, Maths/Numeracy (Functional Skills/GCSE/Awards)
Wellbeing (SMSC/PSHE) and Independent Travel programme.
External Provision Curriculum allows pupils to learn valuable new skills that are accredited through nationally recognised qualifications. Health and wellbeing needs are supported to enable pupils to develop emotionally and to become work ready.
A typical Year 12 timetable would include at least two placements a week at an External Provision provider, these include; C&G Plastering Academy, Seeds of Change, Aylesbury Youth Motor Project, Angling 4 Success, Snush Gym, Hockwell Ring Boxing, Educreate, EOB Game Design, Develop and Jam Rock Media. In addition to this all Year 12 pupils are expected to complete the Employability programme at Reactiv8 (NCFE Award in Employability Skills)
“The use of a wide range of external providers enables students to study vocational courses regularly each week. The external provision leads pupils directly into work or gaining further skills and qualifications. Staff spoken with from several of the external providers speak highly of the school and its students. One provider stated: ‘Oak Bank School is a great school; they do a lot of excellent work.” Ofsted Report 2019
6th Form placements are offered for one year initially (year 12), with an additional years placement in year 13 if appropriate. At the end of their placement in the 6th form, pupils are supported with their progression into further education, a training opportunity or employment. SEN Personal Advisors from the Local Authority continue to work alongside our 6th form pupils to offer Careers Advice and Guidance.
These are just some of the outstanding successes from the last few years of our 6th form provision:
- 12 pupils have achieved the Construction Industry Training Board Certificate at Level 1.
- FM has achieved a Level 2 in ‘Home Cooking’ from Develop.
- JG achieved the Gold Arts Award for a charity calendar he produced and JM achieved a Silver Arts Award for film making. This award is accredited through Trinity College London and equivalent to half an A level.
- 6 pupils have achieved the level 2 BTEC Extended Certificate in Fish Husbandry.
- DC achieved a Level 1 Award in Health and Safety skills.
- JM achieved Functional skills English and Level 1 Award in Employability Skills.
- CP was our first year 13 pupil in the 6th Form and achieved a City and Guilds in construction/bricklaying.